Monday, May 16, 2011

Dark Art Persuasion

You need me don't you?
No, not me.
Yes.
No, just anybody.
So much easier perhaps with a willing subject.
Call me a lab rat.
Call me anything.
Just, please, call me.

Most certain I'm stricken by you.
Everything's hazy right now.
I used to tell mom I'd be a good man; now I'm not so sure.
Nobody was flocking to my side.
But you were there for me, weren't you?
You bound my hands and told me you loved me.
And then came the book.
The candle.
The mirror.
The pipe.
All crashing down on the back of my skull.
No tear was shed when my hands were covered red.

I was wondering, darling, must we fight tonight?
I have never learned anything from an argument.
I have never learned anything from being demeaned.
I hope you're gaining something when you strike me.
I'm okay.
I can take it.
I still love you.
I promise I'll never leave.

Dark is the art of your persuasion.
Cold is the heart in your chest.
I once longed to lie on your breast and tell you my story.
Now you raise your voice.
You reach for a sharp object.
I won't ever tell anyone, my dear.
Your secret is safe right here on my arm.
No cause for alarm.
I'm okay.
I can take it.
I still love you.
Just please don't ever leave.

I remember why you said this would happen.
"I'm sorry, I just do and say things I don't mean when I'm upset."
Escalation.
Rationalization.
Damnation.
You gave me no real reason.
Now I am its embodiment.
I walk alone with the torment.
I bear both your scars and mine.
They just show up and hurt all the time.
But I'm okay.
I took it.
I still love you.
But I just had to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment