Friday, July 22, 2011

Idioms

You told me there's no atheists in foxholes
At first I was inclined to just agree
But then I couldn't help but be more thoughtful
I had to apply your wisdom to me
See, I have lived in foxholes my whole lifetime
And I believe in nothing to this day
So when I ponder what you tried to imply
I realize that was so dumb to say
I've struggled, battled, lost and won so many
For most of my life all I've known is war
I've loved and hated just as much as any
But unless there was conflict, I got bored
So what I'm saying isn't that I'm righteous
And I'm not even saying that I'm right
I'll probably be fighting till I'm lifeless
Because I know no other way of life
I don't believe in anything at all now
It doesn't mean that I have lost my faith
I'll fight for those I love, protect them somehow
From evil in the world that does await
I'll even protect my loved ones from myself
Because I know that I will scare them off
So if I'm just a picture on a bookshelf
Their lives might just be better after all
You said there were no atheists in foxholes
In most ways I'm inclined to just agree
But when I think about it, there's a plot hole
That idiom forgot to think of me

No comments:

Post a Comment