Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Caesar's Last Hand

We had time in the sunlight
Remember it gently, will you?
The veil of reddened darkness
That followed our aspiring day
You stared me over, our fingers grazed
We spoke words as time faded
Your face embedded in my eyes
Like a stained glass painting
Adorning a cathedral I've not left
For centuries
I once believed that we were all there was
Now I know better but I wish that I did not
I would trade everything to feel another touch
Does this in Caesar seem ambitious?
Destroyed like grass in winter's bane
Withdraw and try to let you live your own way
Separation from the body and the heart
All things between are consequential at best
Played what I thought was my very last and best hand
A decent pair, a decent flop, I'm all in
Should've known you had me covered
Should've known the river would favor you in the end
This isn't even about love
But I couldn't find the message even if I tried
I guess all bets are off
My ransom will not fill the coffers
Praise me not

No comments:

Post a Comment